Thursday, October 24, 2013

Is it worth it?


Such a loaded question.

Is it worth it to work outside the home full time?

This question is so specific to each individual that answers it.  My answer will be different than some, but I think universally the same.

Yes.

Yes it is VERY much worth it for me to work full time outside the home.  Is it my ideal life?  Maybe not.  My ideal life would be sitting on a beach with my children without a care in the world...no school, no work, no responsibilities.  Our life would be about having fun and enjoying our company together.  That is my heaven, and unless I win the loto tomorrow, not my reality.  Reality in most people's lives involves work in some way to provide for a family.  Our society has shifted into a duel-income society.  It is VERY difficult to have only one working parent.

As a child, I always knew I would work.  My mom stayed home with us until my brother started kindergarten, then she went to work at our elementary school.  I admired my mom's dedication to us and making sure she was home when we were.  I also feared it.  I feared that my mom didn't have the income she would need to support herself and us kids on her own.  If she ever chose to do so or was forced to do so she would have struggled.  I do not know the day, time or moment when I decided I would be a working mom.  It kind of just happened upon me.  I knew I wanted to get my education, so I went to college...and graduated.  I knew I wanted to be married and have children but did not know what would happen after.  I wasn't a great planner.

After I had Jade, I automatically went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum.  There wasn't much discussion between Todd and I about the option to stay home.  We found an in home daycare option for $90/week.  I made more than $90/week so it made sense for me to work, as in doing so I would also get health insurance for us.  So off I went.  And that was the ground work for where we are now.

After Ava was born I was blessed to work with the owner of a company and able to bring Ava with me to work while Jade went to preschool (she was 3.5) so the expense of 2 in daycare wasn't a concern right way.  My income had also increased to allow for that daycare expense if needed.  THEN Ted decides we need to move back to NC.  (We were in VA at the time)  SO we packed up when Ava was 3 months old and moved to our now home in NC.  It took me 2 weeks to find a job earning a bit more than I did in VA with benefits.  We found a suitable daycare option for both girls and off I went.  It was a mere 6 months of two in daycare before Jade started kindergarten...so the sting was short-lived.

When we had Liam, I took as much time as I could off.  Because of the spacing between Ava & Liam we only had to worry about 1 daycare bill.  In fact, we had 3 months while I took maternity leave that we had ZERO daycare expense.

For me, my career is very important.  I also know that IF I stayed home with my children I would not be as good of a mom as I am now.  I also know that staying home will not fix the struggles of keeping a clean house, in fact it might add to those struggles.  I had all 3 of my children home full time during maternity leave and that was enough time to know that I am a much happier person working.  It's the right balance for me.

Finances you ask?  Yes it is expensive to hire a nanny or have a child in daycare.  You also have to add gas, food, etc. for being at work and not at home.  In the end the health insurance is a big piece of the puzzle.  The way I look at it is if I have health insurance and bring home $1 more than I spend each week, then it is financially worth it.

What are the costs for my children?  Less time with mom?  Yes...BUT they are learning to cooperate around different people.  They are learning independence & responsibility in a way that I would not be able to teach on my own.

And the snuggles...the afternoon/evening snuggles.  The weekends...the weekends of lounging and watching cartoons.  I enjoy those precious hours together, perhaps more because they are fewer.

It is totally worth it. (for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment