Friday, October 25, 2013

Breastfeeding A Toddler

For 17 months I have breastfeed Liam.

For 15 months I have managed night feedings and sleep/lack of sleep and then getting up for a full day of work.

Last night sucked.

Liam has 4 new teeth coming in and it hurts like hell!  Imagine tiny little razor blades scraping your nipples over and over again combined with suction.  Yeah....it hurts.

I'm so torn.  I want to give him the nourishment his little toddler body needs.  Especially as he is so selective lately on what he will actually eat from the table.  I want to give him the comfort he is craving while dealing with 4 new teeth cutting through his soft gums.  Can you imagine how awful that must feel?

Last night he cried for almost an hour as I sat next to him and defended myself from his clawing and grabbing to nurse.  I just couldn't let him nurse.  I hurt and I was selfish.

Ted went back into work right after bedtime and came home around midnight after my cry for help with Liam.  It was an awful night.  Ted took Liam to another room and told me to get some sleep, have I mentioned how much of a saint my husband is?

Liam was fine.  He whined a bit here and there, surely from the discomfort of his teeth, but daddy was there to comfort him.

I feel like I gave up.  I feel like I let him down.


No comments:

Post a Comment